Choose the Best Model for Your Facility
Vitalant offers two models for transfusion services so you can choose the one that best meets your blood transfusion needs:
- Internal centralized transfusion services - Vitalant staff operate inside a hospital blood bank as a contracted partner and perform all blood bank testing onsite, including the issuance of blood products to the transfusionist.
- External centralized transfusion services - patient samples are shipped out of a requesting facility to a centralized Vitalant testing laboratory, where all required testing is performed. Compatible blood products are then issued back to the requesting facility.
These options require mutual written agreement and completion of a checklist outlining roles and responsibilities prior to providing these services. The requesting transfusion facility must have policies and procedures defined that cover the pre-analytical and post-analytical transfusion-related processes and ensure compliance with all appropriate state and federal regulations, in addition to transfusion standards set by AABB
Products and services include:
- Pre-transfusion testing (type and screen, compatibility)
- Red blood cells, leukoreduced
- Platelets, leukoreduced
- CMV negative components
- Component modifications (irradiation, aliquoting)
- Medical consultations (24/7/365)