Vitalant is a leader in transfusion medicine. In many locations across the country, Vitalant transfusion services provide comprehensive compatibility testing services for facilities that do not perform their own compatibility testing for units they transfuse. Vitalant laboratories perform the testing and offer two models for our transfusion services, including one that manages all your transfusion needs.
Choose the Best Model for Your Facility
Vitalant offers two models for transfusion services so you can choose the one that best meets your blood transfusion needs:
- Internal centralized transfusion services - Vitalant staff operate inside a hospital blood bank as a contracted partner and perform all blood bank testing onsite, including the issuance of blood products to the transfusionist.
- External centralized transfusion services - patient samples are shipped out of a requesting facility to a centralized Vitalant testing laboratory, where all required testing is performed. Compatible blood products are then issued back to the requesting facility.
These options require mutual written agreement and completion of a checklist outlining roles and responsibilities prior to providing these services. The requesting transfusion facility must have policies and procedures defined that cover the pre-analytical and post-analytical transfusion-related processes and ensure compliance with all appropriate state and federal regulations, in addition to transfusion standards set by AABB
Products and services include:
- Pre-transfusion testing (type and screen, compatibility)
- Red blood cells, leukoreduced
- Platelets, leukoreduced
- CMV negative components
- Component modifications (irradiation, aliquoting)
- Medical consultations (24/7/365)